Being saved by God: Jonah:2.
This is how God saves people like you and me. This scripture piece is taken from Jonah 2: 1-4 & 7-10:
This is Jonah’s prayer to God after he was swallowed by the fish.
1. “I cried out to the Lord in my great trouble and he answers me.
2. I called to you from the land of the dead, and Lord you heard me.
3. You threw me into the ocean depths, and I sank down to the heart of the sea. The mighty waters engulfed me; I was berried beneath your wild and stormy waves.
4. Then I said, o’Lord , you have driven me from your presents. Yet I will look once more to your holy temple.
7. As my life was slipping away, I remembered the Lord. And my earnest prayer went out to you in your holy temple.
8. Those who worship false gods turn their backs on all God’s mercies .
9, But I will offer sacrifices to you with songs of praise; and I will fulfill all my vows. For my salvation comes from the Lord alone.”
10. Then the Lord ordered the fish to spit Jonah out onto the beach.
I love this scripture verse because Jonah disobeyed God and he was punished for it. However God loved him and heard his cry for help. Jonah never gave up on God when he was swallowed by the fish, he continued to pray to God. Therefore God never gave up on him either, and so he was saved by God’s mercy.
When you go through something terrible like say for instance you loose a loved one. Don’t start saying I now know there is no God cos he took one of my loved ones, which just proves he doesn’t exist, or if he does he surely doesn’t love or care about me. We can’t always understand things like this, but God does have his reasons for everything. And he does love each and everyone of us so much.
A few years ago I had a terrible accident and I came so close to death. A Doctor at the scene of my accident had to come and check my pulse to see if I was still alive. It is by God’s great mercy that I am still alive today. After my accident I was angry, but not at God because I know that because of his great love for me, he saved my life on that fateful day. The Lord did not give up on me, I know that I was not deserving of his mercy, but yet he chose to save me. Today I know the great love of the Lord who saves. All I want is for you to know his great love and mercy which is new each and every morning. I hope you too will not give up on the Lord who saves people like you and me everyday.
For more bible readings: Bible Verses